Monday, October 10, 2011

Homesick

First, let me start off by saying it's a huge blessing to be able to own a home, especially after only being married for three years and on our income. Yesterday was a rough day. I feel like I sort of broke down at church. It hit me- I really miss Corona. Is it lame to miss a city...probably. I don't care. I miss it. I miss knowing my way around a place so well I swear I could drive with my eyes closed. I miss knowing the back ways and side streets and all of the short cuts. I miss not having to look up directions whenever I want to go some place new. I miss driving home and it not taking 30 minutes and feeling like Im on a road trip. I miss the green hills, the slightly cooler temperatures, and that smell by my parents house that reminds me of being a kid and playing in the ditch behind our house. I miss having friends. Real friends. Friends that I know them and they know me. And my kids. I miss being able to go next door and hang out and vent. I miss our old neighbors. I miss going to church on Sunday and knowing almost everyone there and being the one to welcome new people in, not being the new one. I miss my family coming over. I miss being able to walk to the park without being afraid. I just feel a little down I guess.

BUT-
It's not about me. It's about my kids. Now I get a chance to help them make memories and create a place that they will miss when we leave.
Maybe I am bummed out because I was told Elsinore was the armpit of the Inland Empire. Who wants to live in an armpit? I have never been to a new place (yes Corona is only right down the freeway but I can't just drive there whenever...that's weird) so I think that is why this is so difficult. I know it takes time to adjust, to make friends, to make a house a home...so I will wait and enjoy it. I will try to at least.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

It is so hard and lonely at the beginning of a move. But you are right, the friends will come. My only advice (not that you are looking for any) is to initiate friendships. Don't wait for people to invite you over for dinner or a play date, invite them and the friendships will come a lot more quickly. Good luck. Love you!

Dejah said...

I'm so sorry to hear how homesick you are Bre. Things will get better.

Heidi said...

for some reason I cant read it... its a bunch of symbols and not letters...

But I totally understand the whole homesick thing. It is soo hard at times. It took me a while to initiate friendships. ITs not easy, but makes things a bit easier once you do. Hope things get better soon!

cherise and Tristan said...

I can't read it. But come and visit me or I can come see you. I miss you so much.

The Hettinger Homestead said...

Will you stop typing in reformed Egyptian! I get it, Hebrew takes up too much room, but come on.

- David

Lindz said...

Ugh! Moving is hard....but it will get better and then you won't miss Corona at all!! :)

Sara said...

hang in there. It's never fun to be the new one. come over here and use our park if you are scared. Kate and I will meet you there and hang out. : )